Is there a word in English that describes the happiness you feel when someone dear to you succeeds, such that their success feels like yours?

4 Answers


While in some other languages there are specific words to describe different emotions that apply to specific situations, in English we generally use the same group of adjectives and use contextual sentences to apply them to the situation.


I am ecstatic about your success!

Your success makes me feel proud and very happy.


Ron G 1720

Just say "I am happy that you are happy"


I'm happy for you!


Perhaps something along the lines of "I share your joy."

Your answer

Privacy: Your email address will only be used for sending these notifications.
... (short: is an online community for learning foreign languages.
It represents an open knowledge base. Every member can share and gain knowledge about a new language.