Grammar differences between British and American English
There are also a few differences in preposition use including the following:
- American English - on the weekend
British English - at the weekend
- American English - on a team
British English - in a team
- American English - please write me soon
British English - please write to me soon
Spelling differences between British and American English:
1. Some words that end in ‘-tre’ in British English end in ‘-ter’ in American English.
- US theater, center
- Brit. theatre, centre
2. Some words that end in ‘-our’ in British English end in ‘-or’ in American English.
- US color, labor
- Brit. colour, labour
3. Some words are shorter in American English than in British English.
- US catalog, program
- Brit. catalogue, programme
4. Some words that end in '-ize' in American English end in '-ise' in British English.
- US recognize, patronize
- Brit. recognise, patronise
Here are a few of the commonest vocabulary differences:
boot (of a car) trunk
chemist’s drug store