When something is solid, firm and difficult to break or bend.
Difficult to understand, do, experience or deal with; needing or using a lot of physical or mental effort
Hard can be both an adjective and an adverb
Examples as an adjective:
- Diamonds are extremely hard stones
- The basketball trainer is very hard if you miss the rebound you have to do 20 push-ups
- The ground is hard after last night's cold weather.
- Diamonds are the hardest materials known to man.
- Learning another language is hard.
Examples as adverbs:
- Tom worked very hard to make his business profitable
- The little boy held his father’s hand hard, he didn’t want to lose him
- very little/few, almost none or not
- very difficult, nearly impossible
- absolutely not
- I could hardly hear him speaking, he should have used a microphone
- Mike had hardly walked through the front door when the phone rang