The word no never precedes: a, an, the, any, much, many, enough.
No is used:
- as an exclamation.
- as an adjective before singular and plural nouns.
Not is used:
- as an adverb to make a sentence negative.
- to make an adjective or adverb negative.
- in short replies with a number of verbs.
- We have no money in the bank now.
- We do not have any money in the bank now.
- There are no books in the bookcase.
- There are no English books in the bookcae.
- There are not any books in the bookcase.
- Do you like coffe? No, I don't.
- Didn't you finish it? No, I didn't.
- Don't you want this? Not at all.
- Won't you be mad at us? Not in the least.
- Aren't you going to go? Not right now.
- Who took my book? Not I.