Formal English is used in “serious” texts and situations — for example, in official documents, books, news reports, articles, business letters or official speeches.
Informal English is used in everyday conversations and in personal letters.
Formal and informal English words/phrases can be identified based on the tips below:
- More read. You will learn to associate certain words and phrases with different types of writing.
- Most uses of get are informal.
- In general – phrasal verbs are informal.
- Contractions are always informal.
- Many idioms are informal.
- Most shortened words are informal.
The following list will help you to recognize the informal and formal ways of saying the same thing.