Hello everyone! I really want to know what's the difference between among and... between! ;D thanx!
There are some rules to use "among" and "between":
1) In general we use:
- Between = 2 items
- Among = 3 or more items
2) We use Among when we're talking about Collective Group / Mass Nouns:
- I must choose among Universities in the U.S. (Group of universities)
- Trade agreements exists among countries; (Group of countries)
3) We use Between when we're talking about Specific Nouns:
- I must choose between University of Houston, University of Texas and University of California.
- There is a trade agreement between South Africa, England and the U.S.
4) To talk about difference use "Between":
- There is a difference between the American, English and Canadians accent.
5) To talk about distribute use "among":
- The teacher has distributed the activities among his students
6) To talk about Location (specif path or point) we use between:
- Bolivia lies between, Chile, Peru, Brazil, Argentina and Paraguay.
7) To talk about Location (no defined path or point) we use among:
- I walked among the trees. (not specified)
Hope this helps.